Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colourless gas, which you can breathe. It has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years for anxious patients. It is safe and the patient is able to breathe on their own.
The patient may experience mild amnesia and may fall asleep, not remembering all of what happened during their appointment.
Advantages of using Nitrous Oxide:
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a "hangover", hence patients do not need a chaperon to go home.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
At MyDental Group, we utilise the revolutionary SILHOUETTE designed by an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon in Phoenix, Arizona.
SILHOUETTE is a single patient use nasal mask and breathing circuit designed with lightweight tubing and a comfortable and conforming mask.
Features And Benefits
SILHOUETTE's unique design offers many advantages over traditional nasal hoods, including:
- Unobstructed access to the oral cavity
- Adhesive strip secures mask in place
- A more predictable nitrous experience
- Disposable mask/circuit for improved infection control
- Enhanced scavenging efficiency for reduced N2O exposure
- Four sizes for a perfect fit on all patients